In the book of Esther, we see God raising up a woman by the name of Esther to be queen. At this time, one of the King’s officials, Haman, was planning to bring a genocide to the Jewish people, unknowingly to the King. Esther’s Jewish uncle, Mordecai, pleaded for her to do something about the destruction that was going to take place. In fact, he reminded her of something profound in Esther 4:13-14,
Do not think to yourself that in the king’s palace you will escape any more than all the other Jews. For if you keep silent at this time, relief and deliverance will rise for the Jews from another place, but you and your father’s house will perish. And who knows whether you have not come to the kingdom for such a time as this?
If Esther chose to remain silent, her people would perish. However, if she acted, she could save a nation.
Friend, this is the most important election of our lifetime. The Haman’s have come out in full force and are more than ready to destroy our morals, freedoms and nation. We cannot remain silent or stay home.
1 Timothy 2:1-2 commands us,
First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way.
God tell us to pray for those in authority over us. Why? “….that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way.” The early church was always subject to opposition and persecution by leaders in the government. We should pray for a government and rulers so they would stay out of the way and allow us to be faithful in following the Lord without any restriction from the state.
We are not only given the privilege of praying…but also of voting. As Americans, we not only have the opportunity of praying for our leaders, but also choosing them. Praying for the election is looking to God to do His part; voting in this election is doing our part.
Do not stay silent. Do not stay at home. Act. Pray. Vote.
- FOR THE CHURCH: Thank God for religious liberty and the gift of self-government. Pray that churches throughout the state will use that freedom to preach the full Gospel of Jesus Christ despite the hostility of a politically correct culture. (Romans 1:16). Pray that the Holy Spirit would stir up a courageous attitude within Christians so that they will boldly stand for truth at home, in the workplace, and especially in the public square. (Joshua 1:9). Pray that God would use the Church to create a dramatic cultural transformation in our state and nation. (Romans 12:2).
- FOR JUDGES AND THE COURTS: Pray that they will seek the wisdom that comes from above rather than any personal or political agendas.
Pray for Families:
- STUDENT WELFARE: Ask God to convict parents/grandparents, legislators, and religious leaders of the need to speak up in support of parental rights. Pray that parents would be empowered with school choice, so that their children’s educational needs are completely fulfilled. Pray that God will move on our leaders’ hearts to put the well-being of children first before any political agenda. Please also continue to pray for educators, parents, and students who are still navigating either virtual or heavily altered school arrangements. Pray that God would provide them with the support and resources they need during this time.
- GRANDPARENTS: That God would use grandparents to fearlessly proclaim the Word of God regarding sin and God’s love. Pray for their role in the training of their grandchildren and wisdom on how to instill a Biblical worldview.
- FAMILIES AS SALT AND LIGHT: Pray that God would use your family to spread the truth and light of the Gospel.
Pray for the Sanctity of Life:
- ABORTION: Pray that God would forgive us for upholding “reproductive rights” laws that result in the slaughter of millions of pre-born babies. Pray that God would move in our land so that we’d learn to humble ourselves with a contrite spirit, and to tremble at the Word of the Lord. (Isaiah 66:2) Pray for an end to abortion.
- PRC’s: Lift up all pregnancy resource centers and those diligently reaching out to vulnerable mothers who feel as if abortion is their only option. Please also ask that God would put into place legislators who value the sanctity of life and will work to pass laws that help protect the life of the unborn.
- 40 DAYS FOR LIFE: Pray for the success of 40 Days for Life which runs through November 1st. Pray that Christians throughout the state of Illinois would be stirred and commit to taking a one hour a week shift in silent peaceful prayer against the wickedness of abortion. Pray for truth about abortion to be revealed to all those who think this “choice” is valid. Pray that truth would become valued and cherished again in our culture.
And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. ~Jesus Christ (John 8:32)
Pray for the Government:
- CORRUPTION: Pray that the federal government’s investigation into political corruption at various levels of government in Illinois would root out self-serving wicked incumbents and government employees.
- FOR THE UPCOMING ELECTIONS: Pray for wisdom for voters and a safe and fair election. “My son, do not let wisdom and understanding out of your sight, preserve sound judgment and discretion; they will be life for you, an ornament to grace your neck. Then you will go on your way in safety, and your foot will not stumble” (Proverbs 3:21–23). Pray for a huge turnout of Christian voters who will understand how important it is to vote their Judeo-Christian values. Pray too for protection against voting fraud. Ask the Lord to expose and remove those who might try to unjustly and illegally change the outcome of the election.
- FOR THOSE IN AUTHORITY: Pray for the political leaders listed below as they continue to make important decisions about how to respond to the COVID-19 health crisis, the lock-down and the resulting economic downturn:
- U.S. Representative Danny Davis (D-Chicago)
- U.S. Representative Mike Bost (R-O’Fallon)
- State Senator Laura Murphy (D-Des Plaines)
- State Senator Jason Plummer (R-Vandalia)
- State Senator Mattie Hunter (D-Chicago)
- State Senator Paul Schimpf (R-Murphysboro)
- State Representative Kelly Burke (D-Oak Lawn)
- State Representative Amy Grant (R-Wheaton)
- State Representative Lindsey LaPointe (D-Chicago)
- State Representative Camille Lilly (D-Chicago)
- State Representative Randy Frese (R-Quincy)
- State Representative Maurice West (D-Rockford)
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change
and though the mountains slip into the heart of the sea…