These last several weeks have been pretty tough for our nation. In addition to observing the 20 year anniversary of the September 11th attacks, we’ve seen flooding in Tennessee that left over twenty people dead and we’ve witnessed the devastating effects of Hurricane Ida in Louisiana and parts of the northeast. We are devastated at the Taliban takeover in Afghanistan which resulted in the death of thirteen special heroes and countless Afghani allies. Friend, while our hearts grieve over these headlines, each one should be a reminder to pray.
There is a God on His throne who is not surprised.
When Jesus was about to be arrested and face an unfair trial that would ultimately lead to His death, He told Peter, James and John to pray. But the long day got the best of them and they fell asleep. During this crucial time in our Lord’s earthly ministry, His own disciples were asleep.
In Jonah, chapter 1, we see the Prophet Jonah on a boat in the middle of a storm. On deck the captain, crew, and others were terrified, but Jonah was fast asleep in an inner cabin far below. When the captain implored Jonah to “Arise, call upon your god!” Jonah was silent.
Friend, we are in a very interesting time in human history. People are afraid. The streets of our communities are in shambles. There is turmoil throughout the world. The Church of Jesus Christ cannot fall asleep or be silent. Vance Havner once said, “If the church would only be the church– if Christians would only be Christians– nothing could halt our onward march.”
This week, let’s choose to be a people of prayer and begin to turn this world upside down for the Glory of God!
Praise and Thank God
- Praise God that many parents and grandparents are choosing to get their children and grandchildren out of government schools. The number of families deciding to home school has spiked and enrollment in private Christian schools is up significantly.
- Praise God for our First Amendment rights to freely exercise our religious beliefs, our right to free speech, our right to peacefully assemble, and our right to petition the government when they move in the wrong direction. Pray for those First Amendment attorneys and the clients they represent who have filed lawsuits against unreasonable government over-reach and mandates under the guise of “health” or “protection.”
Public School Exit
- Please continue to pray for our Rescuing Our Children initiative to encourage an exodus from government indoctrination centers. Pastor Ceasar LeFlore, our field director for this project, is meeting with pastors throughout the City of Chicago and suburbs and has been getting favorable responses.
- Thank God that the Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS) refused to hear the Texas Heartbeat law that bans abortionists from dismembering living babies inside the womb once a heartbeat is heard, leaving the previous favorable court ruling intact. While this law is the bare minimum in regard to human decency, the courts have been blocking its enforcement since 2017. Praise God that five justices saw wisdom in leaving the law untouched. With a nation that appears to be growing colder and more blind to the horrific reality of abortion, pray that eyes would be opened to the abortion industry’s murderous barbaric practices.
- There are opportunities for faithful Christians to pray to Almighty God while silently witnessing for the sanctity of human life in Flossmoor, Chicago, Downers Grove and Aurora (to name 4 of the 10 Illinois locations). Please pray for this year’s campaign, which runs from Sept. 22 thru Oct. 30, and consider being one of the praying faithful during the 40 days.
- Pray that every leader in our nation would come to realize that these are real human babies in the womb who deserve protection.
- Pray that the agenda of Satan and his wicked disciples to kill pre-born babies in the womb and encourage immoral sexual activities to innocent young children in government schools would be exposed and stopped.
- Despite SCOTUS’s refusal to hear the case in order to reverse the favorable ruling, the Biden Department of Justice is challenging the Texas Heartbeat Abortion Ban. Pray that they will not succeed. Pray instead that this law will be a strong precedent for other states, and that it would be used to overturn Roe v. Wade and Planned Parenthood v. Casey.
- Pray that the agenda of Satan and his wicked disciples to kill pre-born babies in the womb; teach immoral sexual activities to innocent young children in government schools; and brainwash them with Marxist ideology leading to an increased hatred of America and escalating violence in our neighborhoods would be exposed and stopped. (Proverbs 6:16-19; Ephesians 5:11)
- Pray that the Holy Spirit will prompt us, our family members, and our church family to stay rooted in God’s Holy Word, reading it daily so that we are fully equipped for what God calls us to do.
- Pray that the eyes of our hearts be enlightened, that we may know what is the hope to which He has called us to, what are the riches of His glorious inheritance in the saints, and what is the immeasurable greatness of His power toward us who believe, according to the working of His great might that He worked in Christ when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places. (Ephesians 1:18–20)
For Those in Authority
For the next several weeks, please pray for the political leaders listed below. Pray that they would seek God’s wisdom when they make decisions that affect the people they work for. Pray that God would turn their hearts to Himself. (Proverbs 21:1)
Of course, this includes praying for Joe Biden, Kamala Harris, JB Pritzker and Julia Stratton and those who serve in these administrations. Pray also for our two U.S. Senators, Dick Durbin and Tammy Duckworth. In addition, please pray for the following officials:
- U.S. Senator Michael F. Bennet (D-Colorado)
- U.S. Senator Marsha Blackburn (R-Tennessee)
- U.S. Representative Tom O’Halleran (D-Arizona)
- U.S. Representative Jerry Carl (R-Alabama)
- State Senator Christopher Belt (D-East St. Louis)
- State Senator John Curran (R-Lemont)
- State Representative Kelly M. Burke (D-Evergreen Park)
- State Representative Tim Butler (R-Springfield)
- YOUR local City/Village/Township Officials
...you must continue in the things which you have learned and been assured of,
knowing from whom you have learned them, and that from childhood
you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation
through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is given by inspiration of God,
and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction,
for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete,
thoroughly equipped for every good work.
~2 Timothy 3:14-17