National Day of Prayer
President Donald J. Trump has called for a National Day of Prayer this Sunday. While there is never a lack of serious issues to pray about, the level of anxiety and even fear among citizens is at a level many of us have never seen before. The need for national corporate prayer by Christians is indisputable.
While some politicians and media pundits are working overtime to have us believe that the federal or state government can save us, we know that God is sovereign (Psalm 103:19) over the affairs of all creation. It is to Him we must turn when we encounter various trials. While we should heed the recommendations of scientists about hand-washing, social-distancing, and stocking our pantries, we shouldn’t panic or worry. (Mat. 6:34)
The Apostle Paul tells us:
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. ~Phil. 4:6-7
Work places, schools, churches, sports stadiums, casinos and even the state legislature are closing due to the coronavirus. This is a serious pathogen that can become dangerous, if not deadly, for many of our vulnerable family members, neighbors, and friends. It is wise to take precautions so as not to allow it to spread. But it is infinitely more important to bow our heads and bend our knees before Almighty God to make our appeals known to Him. Again, the Apostle Paul exhorts us to rejoice in hope, persevere in tribulation, and be constant in prayer. (Rom. 12:12)
- Please pray for the peace of Christ to rule and reign in our hearts, so that we may shine the Light of Jesus to those who are without hope. May we cast all our anxieties on Him, and let Him sustain us. (1 John 4:18; 1 Peter 5:7)
- In this time of trial and testing, pray to be filled with the Holy Spirit so that we may know His peace. May God help us to be patient and kind to one another.
- Pray for one another as we face this difficulty. Pray that through this tribulation, Christians will grow nearer to our Creator, and that the Lord will use it to sanctify us and give us many opportunities to proclaim the Good News of the Gospel.
- Pray that our rebellious, agnostic, and/or unbelieving neighbors will wrestle with the reality of their own mortality and diligently seek God. (Deut. 4:29; Prov. 8:17; Jer. 29:13; Mat 7:7; Luke 11:9; Ps. 105:4)
- Pray that God would bring peace and healing to those who are afflicted with the illness, to provide supernatural strength and protection for the medical personnel struggling on the front lines, and to bless every official at every level who are working to help the people affected by this pandemic. Pray that they would seek and acknowledge God’s loving, omnipotent purpose for all of this.
This situation also provides us a perfect opportunity to pray for and communicate with our state lawmakers who will be spending more time in their district offices now that next week’s Springfield session has been cancelled. Introduce yourself to them if you have never met with them. Encourage others to make calls as well.
You can begin your conversation by thanking them for their public service, which they likely do not hear very often. You can relay your concerns about bills that have recently been introduced or are still alive from last year.
Click HERE for the list of bills IFI is watching for this session.
To find the contact information for your state senator and state representative, click HERE. Once you enter your zip code and address, these 2 officials will be at the bottom of the section for Your State Officials.
Additional Prayer Points:
- Pray that God would intervene in the hearts of lawmakers who are sponsors of the anti-life, anti-family bills.
- Pray that Christians would go to the voting booth on (or before) Tuesday and vote to elect people who align with God’s principles of life, marriage, and sexual purity and monogamy within marriage, etc.
- Pray that President Trump would continue to seek God’s wisdom during these tumultuous times.
- Pray for the decision-makers, who decided to cancel events and restrict travel.
- Pray for God’s mercy on Illinois and our nation.
Subscribe to the IFI YouTube channel
and never miss a video report or special program!