We often hear the question, “How does _____ (fill in the blank with some sexually deviant activity) affect you?” Such a question reveals an all-too-common degree of ignorance about how ideas affect culture. Such a question ignores how much time it takes for ideas to percolate through culture. Let’s look at the most recent deviant ideology to capture the dulled imaginations of foolish, self-indulgent people: the “trans” ideology. Despite its relative newness, we’re already seeing the effects of the science-denying, reality-denying, nonsensical assumptions of the “trans” cult, which have been spreading like wildfire, torching everything decent in their path.
Here are some of the ways people are being affected:
- Women and men are being forced to share private spaces with opposite-sex strangers.
- Teachers in public schools are being commanded to use incorrect pronouns when referring to children and teens who pretend to be the sex they are not. In other words, the government is forcing citizens to lie.
- All children and teens who attend schools that allow students to use restrooms and locker rooms that correspond to the sex they are not are being implicitly and explicitly taught the lie that to be compassionate, inclusive, and loving, they must be willing to relinquish their privacy. They are being taught that objective, immutable biological sex per se has no intrinsic and profound meaning. They are being taught that objective, immutable biological sex must be subordinated to the subjective, fluid, and disordered desires of those who wish they were the sex they are not.
- Parents are raising babies to have no “gender identification.” They’re concealing their children’s sex—a fundamental and profoundly meaningful anthropological fact—from family, friends, and even the toddlers themselves.
- Children are being raised by men who pretend to be women and women who pretend to be men.
- There’s been an explosion in the numbers of teens who identify as “gender non-conforming,” “gender non-binary,” or “transgender.”
- The medical community is facilitating the chemical sterilization and surgical mutilation of physically healthy children and teens.
- Delusional people who masquerade as the sex they are not are obtaining falsified birth certificates and driver’s licenses. In other words, the law has been enjoined to facilitate a science-denying, reality-denying fiction.
- Children are seeing cross-dressing men in public who, in times when proper shame about shameful behavior prevailed, would have restricted their peculiar habit to closets, basements, and late nights.
- Women’s athletics at all levels is being ruined by the participation of objectively male athletes, also known as men.
- Objectively male “trans” activists are threatening and assaulting lesbians who don’t want them in women’s private spaces.
- Homosexuals and heterosexuals are being told that if they care about the genitalia of their sexual and romantic partners, they are “transphobic.” So, if you heterosexual men don’t want to have date, marry, or have sex with a “transwoman” (i.e., a man with a penis who pretends to be a woman), you are “transphobic.”
- Women prisoners are being forced to share cells with men, who have on occasion sexually assaulted them.
- College and university health plans subsidize harmful chemical and surgical interventions for mentally delusional, physically healthy students.
As usual, conservatives fail to think deeply about the effects of ideas. Here are two effects that are a’comin’:
1.) It will become impossible to enforce public decency laws in our depraved new world in which “women” with XY chromosomes have fully functioning congenital penises and “men” with XX chromosomes have naturally grown breasts. How will police respond to a woman who pretends to be a man, has a falsified birth certificate and driver’s license that identify her as a man, keeps her natural female breasts intact, and decides to play topless frisbee in a park like actual men do?
2.) If we are prohibited from “discriminating” based on sex and on “gender identity,” there will remain no rational justification for maintaining sex-segregation anywhere for anyone.
Let’s say a delusional, anarchical, or iconoclastic man who pretends to be a woman is permitted to use a women’s locker room. Then a non-delusional, “cisgender” man—who may also be an anarchist or iconoclast—requests use of the women’s locker room. A high school, university, or private health club can’t say to the “cisgender” man, “No, you can’t use it; you’re not a woman,” because they’ve already allowed someone who’s not a woman to use it. And they can’t say, “You can’t use it; you’re not transgender,” because they can’t discriminate based on “gender identity.” Voilà, co-ed everything for everyone, which means no private spaces for anyone.
Left unchallenged and unopposed, “trans”-cultic beliefs will result in the end of all public recognition of sex differences. If separate restrooms, locker rooms, showers, and shelters for objectively male and female persons are analogous to separate drinking fountains for blacks and whites, as former attorney general Loretta Lynch and many other “progressive” fools assert, it would be profoundly immoral to maintain even one. Would we permit a single racially segregated drinking fountain to remain in existence?
It boggles the mind that there remain conservatives who believe that, for example, tax and immigration policy are more important than the reductively called “social issues”—you know, those trifles like the rights of the unborn and the born, marriage, and the reality and meaning of biological sex.
Conservatives should be talking about this issue at least as volubly and boldly as “trans”-activists and their ideological accomplices do. To self-censor out of fear guarantees that we bequeath to our children and grandchildren a less safe, more oppressive world in which to raise their children. Is that what conservatives want? Hasn’t our silence done enough damage already?
Listen to this article read by Laurie:
IFI works diligently to serve the Christian community in Illinois with email alerts, video reports, pastors’ breakfasts, special forums, worldview conferences and cultural commentaries. We do not accept government funds nor do we run those aggravating popup ads to generate funds. We depend solely on the support of readers like you.
If you appreciate the work and ministry of IFI, please consider a tax-deductible donation to sustain our endeavors. It does make a difference.