In his Feb. budget address, Gov. Patrick Quinn spoke against an expansion of gambling in Illinois, saying “I don’t think you can gamble your way to prosperity.” He was absolutely correct.
Yet Springfield lawmakers continue to push bills that would legalize Internet gambling for the Lottery (SB 1654) and for horse racing (SB 1298), video gambling machines in community establishments where alcoholic liquor is served (HB 4239), and other gambling proposals as a way to pay for construction projects.
Take ACTION: This is your chance to speak up before it’s too late and before it’s rammed through the legislature in back room deals! Click HERE to send your lawmakers an email or a fax to tell them “NO MORE GAMBLING.”
Gambling expansion is a terrible idea for a whole host of reasons, including:
- Video poker machines are the most addictive form of gambling, what the experts call the “crack cocaine of gambling.”
- This scheme would turn neighborhood bars, taverns and your favorite restaurants into Mini Casinos, without concern for zoning, family, clientele or even the welfare of other family-friendly business owners who choose not to provide gambling machines.
- Experts agree that the mix of one addiction — gambling — with another addictive substance — alcohol — creates a highly addictive atmosphere.
- We would get potentially thousands of mini-casinos across the state! (There are more than 21,000 liquor licenses in Illinois.)
- Families will be saturated with a “gambling is good” message when they visit local restaurants.
Support the work and ministry of IFI
The Illinois Family Institute works hard to champion immutable moral principles, and takes a strong stand for traditional values. IFI is your voice at the capitol, in the community, in the media, and in the culture.
Bible believing Christians and true conservatives cannot afford to run the risk of complacency while anti-God, anti-American, and anti-freedom forces work overtime toward the radical socialist agenda.
If you believe in the mission and purpose of Illinois Family Institute, please send your most generous contribution to IFI today. IFI is supported by voluntary donations from individuals like you across the state of Illinois. Donations to IFI are tax-deductible.
Click HERE to donate today!
Give by mail:
Illinois Family Institute
P.O. Box 88848
Carol Stream, Illinois 60188