This past Thursday, the CapitolFax political website, liberal political pundit Rich Miller re-posted a recent IFI fundraising appeal, ridiculing it as “over the top” and highlighting the phrases he, Miller, views as particular over-the-toppish.
After reading his post and the subsequent comments, I posted some comments myself, copied here:
- Rich characterizes portions of Dave Smith’s article as “over the top.” That’s rich (no pun intended). Nothing could be more “over the top” than the notion that sexual complementarity is wholly irrelevant to marriage.
- Miller highlights the phrase “evil agenda” as over the top. “Evil” is defined as “morally bad or wrong; causing ruin, injury, or pain; harmful.” Severing the link between children and their mothers and fathers for no reason related to parental loss, abuse, incompetence, or abandonment is evil. Creating children to be deliberately motherless or fatherless is evil. Encoding in law the deceit that marriage is solely constituted by subjective feelings of deep romantic affection is evil. That is to say, all of the above are morally wrong and cause pain.
- One of the effects of legalizing same-sex pseudo-marriage will be to diminish religious liberty. Former Georgetown University law professor lesbian Chai Feldblum has confirmed this as inevitable. That too is evil.
- One of the commenters, “Frustrated GOP,” embarrassingly suggested that opposing the legal recognition of same-sex unions as marriages is the equivalent of endorsing racism. How is homosexuality per se analogous to race? It’s a stupid analogy that is strategically effective because we have an intellectually lazy and easily manipulated/intimidated public.
- One of the commenters, “Tatler,” suggested David Smith was contradictory in his statements regarding societal collapse. Perhaps Tatler should read more closely. Smith wrote that we—that is to say, humans–can’t know what “Illinois will be like in twenty years,” and that “Only God knows for certain.” Then Smith pointed us to what God did to Sodom and Gomorrah in large part because of their indulgence in homosexuality: God destroyed them. It is not contradictory to say humans don’t know with certainty what Illinois will be like in twenty years and to say that Scripture shows that God does not eternally tolerate evil.
- Miller and some of his commenters also ridiculed the phrase “moral collapse.” The legal recognition of same-sex unions as marriages will have a corrosive effect on marriage, which has already been damaged by prior feckless philosophical shifts that emerged from, normalized, and exalted self-indulgence. The dissolution of true marriage, my friends, is a sure sign of and contributor to moral collapse.
Here are some of the comments from those who believe same-sex pseudo-marriage (which, by the way, has nothing to do with equality) is good for children and good for America:
- Aloysius – Thursday, Oct 17, 13 @ 8:16 pm:
The Illinois Family Institute:
Hearts of lead and brains of fruit.
Better a sharp stick in the eye
Than lectures from the I.F.I.
- Demoralized – Thursday, Oct 17, 13 @ 3:56 pm:
the Illinois Family Institute isn’t part of any…intelligent discussions unless you consider hate-mongering intelligent.
- Jim’e’ – Thursday, Oct 17, 13 @ 3:48 pm:
I’m distressed that these characters at the “family institute’ are quite possibly making a living off of their campaign. Well, I guess some would say that Cardinal George’s education campaign is not doing well because of his spiteful statement on gays
- truthteller – Thursday, Oct 17, 13 @ 3:43 pm:
Supporting unjust, discriminatory laws seems to be what religionists do. That makes the baby jesus cry.
- Eddy – Thursday, Oct 17, 13 @ 3:36 pm:
Funny, I didn’t see a picture of the POTUS setting up barricades. I’d promis the dude 3 and a half cents to ask him to quit exaggerating. I have two gay nieces, both are wonderful mothers. There’s nothing evil about them or anyone in my family. I’ve been divorced three times. I’m a great dad. I log 30,000 miles a year in my car. All is fine with my family. Jesus would love to break bread with my family. It irks me when “Christian” groups promote hate and fear. That’s not the Christians I hang out with. Pathetic
- frustrated GOP – Thursday, Oct 17, 13 @ 3:30 pm:
“OMG, replace “Same sex marriage” with “desegregation” and I bet you find something from 50 years ago that sounds the same. Signed by the grand wizard himself.
The party of Lincoln, and born out of abolition is turning into the honoree at an Irish Wake, just a guy in the corner holding a beer taking up space until someone puts him in the ground. Less and less relevant and smelling worse by the day.
I want to encourage everyone to prayerfully consider attending the Defend Marriage Lobby Day in Springfield next Wednesday, and if you’re unable to attend, please contact your representative and urge him or her to vote “NO” on SB 10. If your representative intends to vote “yes,” ask him or her the questions in this article.
Click HERE to make a tax-deductible donation to the Illinois Family Institute.
Click HERE for information about the Oct. 23rd Defend Marriage Lobby Day.